A stress facture in an incomplete crack in the bone caused by overuse. A foot that is not structurally sound is prone to developing stress fractures. Even a normal foot can easily develop a stress fracture from repetitive use; symptoms may include pain, redness and swelling.
- Overuse or strain of the foot
- Medical conditions such as osteoporosis
- Medications such a steroids
- Sudden increased activity level.
What can you do?
- Use cold compresses or ice
- Get complete rest
- Elevate your feet.
- Stay off your feet.
What might a podiatrist do?
- Perform a physical examination
- Take an x-ray and future exams as needed.
- Immobilize or cast the foot/leg
- Prescribe custom orthotics for long-term control and prevention
- Prescribe medications when indicated.