A neuroma is a painful condition often referred to as a pinched nerve, swollen nerve or nerve tumour. It is defined more specifically as a benign growth or nerve tissue, frequently found between the third and fourth toes. This may result in pain, burning, tingling or numbness between the toes and in the ball of the foot.
- Improper or ill-fitting shoes
- High-heeled shoes
What can you do?
- Change to shoes with lower heels
- Wear supportive shoes with a roomy toe box
- Use over-the-counter shoe inserts
What might a podiatrist do?
- Perform a physical exam of the foot
- Take an x-ray to rule out other causes
- Recommend padding and taping
- Prescribe custom orthotics
- Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication
- Administer cortisone injections
- Perform or refer for surgery when indicated