Corns / Calluses
A callus or corn is a build-up of skin that forms at pressure points or over bony prominence. Calluses form on the bottom side of the foot; corns form on the top of the foot and between the toes.
- Repeated friction and pressure from skin rubbing against bony areas or against an irregularity in your shoe.
- Heredity disorders
What can you do?
- Wear supportive shoes with a wide toe box and a low heel
- Use over-the-counter creams, avoiding any acid preparations.
- Use a pumice stone or file to treat (if not a diabetic).
What might a podiatrist do?
- Perform a physical examination
- Take an x-ray if needed
- Trim or pad the lesions
- Perform or refer for surgery when indicated.