A bunion is an enlargement at the base of the big toe caused by a misalignment of the joint. It may be swollen, tender and painful with the wearing of footgear.
- Biomechanical abnormalities
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Inflammatory joint disease (arthritis)
- Congenital deformities
What can you do?
- Wear shoes with good support and wide toe box.
- Apply cold compresses
- Soak your foot in lukewarm water to relieve pain
- Use over-the-counter foot pads
What might a podiatrist do?
- Perform a physical examination of the foot
- Take an x-ray of the foot
- Recommend padding or taping
- Prescribe orthotics as needed
- Perform or refer for surgery when indicated.