Address: P.O. Box 150, FI-00060 They, Finland
|Education Process||- Currently two polytechnics.
- Podiatrists are educated in polytechnics (also called University of AppliedSciences).
- It does not include any surgical procedures.
- The podiatrist in Finland is more like a therapist, having competency in skin and nail care, biomechanics, insoles, massage, gait analysis, wound care and patient education.
|Years/Hours:||- 3,5 years
- 210 ECT credits
- Bachelor of Health Care
- Podiatrist (higher education degree)
|Continuous education mandatory:||- No|
|Name of regulated profession:||- Jalkaterapeutti
|Schools:||Find a school: https://www.sjjl.fi// or here: http://enpodhe.com/partners|
|Governemental recognition:||- Title of podiatrist is included in the list of protected occupational titles as defined in the Decree on Health Care professionals. Professionals entitled to use a protected occupational title will be entered into the central register of health care professionals maintained by the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health.|
|Allowing foreign podiatrists||- We follow the rules of the National Authority for Welfare and Health (www.valvira.fi) called Valvira.
- The Valvira supervises every health professional in Finland.
- The Valvira grants, upon application, the right to practice as a licensed or authorized professional.
- Professionals educated outside Finland will go through the same procedure.
|Applicable legislation||- Act on Health Care Professionals (559/1994) (Finlex)
- Decree on Health Care Professionals (564/1994) (Finlex)
|Is there free access for patients? ||- No free access for patients. Only by referral.
|Does the podiatrist have prescription rights?||- None
|Is the podiatrist is allowed to perform surgery?||- No
|Can the podiatrist make and prescribe orthotics?||- Manufactures orthotics
|Can the podiatrist use anaesthetics?||- None
|Is the podiatry profession regulated? Is there a law protecting the title of podiatrist and describing the competences?||- Podiatry profession is regulated and protected by law. However, the law does not describe the competences.
|How many podiatrists are active in Finland?||- 380|
|Is the FIP-IFP member association recognized by the government as a professional association? ||- Yes|
|Is there a code of conduct/deontology?||- Ethical codes since 2012|