An ingrown toenail is a painful condition characterized by the nail digging into the surrounding skin, leading to inflammation and possible infection of the toe. This is a serious condition for people with impaired circulation, diabetes or other systemic diseases.
- Improper nail trimming
- Shoe pressure
What can you do?
- Trim nails straight across as a preventive measure.
- Select the proper shoe style and size.
What might the podiatrist do?
- Perform a physical exam of the foot
- Take an x-ray
- Culture the nail
- Prescribe appropriate medications, such as antibiotics
- Perform or refer for surgical correction of the nail when indicated.